Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "landlord"

Landlord prosecuted for endangering lives

17-08-2012

A landlord has been handed a suspended jail sentence for endangering lives after a mother, her partner and her eight-year-old daughter were poisoned by carbon monoxide at a flat in Lewisham.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden and the young girl inhaled large quantities of the deadly ga…

Read more

Wakefield landlord in court for flouting gas safety

04-06-2012

A Wakefield landlord has been fined after ignoring repeated warnings to have gas appliances at his rented property checked for safety.

Mohammed Hanif was contacted by both Wakefield Council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) instructing him to employ a registered gas engineer to undert…

Read more

Basildon landlord prosecuted for putting tenants' lives at risk

31-03-2012

A woman who owns a number of properties in Basildon which she rents to vulnerable families has been given community service for failing to keep their gas appliances well maintained and safe.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Onyemauche 'Fidelia' Peel, 49, of T…

Read more

£10,000 fine for landlord following fatal fire

26-03-2012

Following a fatal fire on 29 April 2011 at 546 Coldhams Lane, the landlord Darius Valiulis of Neville Road Cambridge, was prosecuted by Cambridge City Council for breaches of the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations 2006, and …

Read more

Lancaster landlord sentenced for putting lives at risk

19-03-2012

A landlord in Lancaster has been sentenced for putting the lives of a family at risk by failing to arrange an annual gas safety check.

Carole McMillan, 57, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after she failed to arrange for a registered engineer to visit a property on Birkdale…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for putting students at risk

13-02-2012

A Glasgow GP has been fined after failing to maintain a gas boiler at a student flat he owned in Oxford.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Dr Tariq Mahmood for breaching Gas Safety Regulations in December 2010.

Oxford Magistrates' Court heard that on 17 December 2010, a gas installer…

Read more

Glasgow landlord fined for illegal gas work

27-05-2011

Mohammed Aslam allowed his tenants to live with dangerous gas appliances and carried out gas work in a house and flat he owned despite not being legally qualified to do so.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that their investigation found the landlord illegally installed a boiler at a ho…

Read more

Landlord fined for failing to meet gas safety regulations

25-03-2011

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted a landlord for breaching two counts of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 and one count of failing to comply with the requirements of an Improvement Notice served on him in August 2010.

Portsmouth City Council notified HSE after requ…

Read more

8 Blog Posts