Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas safety"

Be CO safe at work

10-06-2015

picture shows how to identify a problem with a gas flameToxic to humans, carbon monoxide (or CO) is an extremely poisonous gas caused by unsafe gas appliances. Dubbed the ‘Silent Killer’ as it’s colourless, tasteless and odourless, it has claimed the lives of many thousands of people. In fact, it is estimated that around 50 people die each year from …

Read more

Gas fitter to carry out unpaid community work after explosion injures pensioner

03-12-2013

Photo shows the damaged gas pipe

A gas fitter has received a suspended prison sentence and curfew, and been ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid community work, after a pensioner suffered severe burns in a gas explosion at his home in Manchester.

Peter Smith, 66, was in a coma for three months following the blast, which happ…

Read more

Winter safety advice

13-11-2013

photo shows a road covered in snowGoing out in the winter can be hazardous, especially if you will be driving. Then again, staying in has its risks too. Make sure you stay safe this winter with these helpful tips:

Driving in the winter is very different than at other times of the year. Adverse weather and longer periods of darkness…

Read more

The dangers of carbon monoxide

25-10-2013

picture shows a couple sitting together in front of an open fireCarbon monoxide has been called “a silent killer” by Dame Sally Davies, chief medical officer for England, stating that the deadly toxin “leads to 50 deaths every year”. At first glance this figure may seem relatively low when compared to other statistics (for example, from 2010 to 2011, 388 people …

Read more

Two companies prosecuted for gas mains fire in Leeds

01-08-2013

Photo shows gas mains fire near residential buildings

Two major companies were responsible for a major blaze in Leeds that led to the evacuation of six homes, the closure of a major road and gas supplies being cut off, a court heard on 31 July 2013.

Leeds-based Northern Gas Networks Operations Ltd. and Morgan Sindall (Infrastructure) plc both neglec…

Read more

Gas fitter sentenced over Irlam explosion

16-04-2013

Irlam Merlin Road gas explosion

A gas fitter has been sentenced following a major explosion in Irlam which injured ten adults and five children, and left a 73-year-old woman with severe burns.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Paul Kay after carrying out a large-scale investigation into the explosion on Merlin Ro…

Read more

Gas fitter's shoddy work threatened lives

05-11-2012

A Brixham gas fitter has been fined after falsely claiming to be registered gas engineer and leaving work he carried out in a dangerous condition.

In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) (on 2 November), Torbay Magistrates heard that Sean Collins carried out work on …

Read more

Essex plumber may face prison after shoddy gas work left family in danger

31-08-2012

Gas Safe Register logoAn Essex plumber has received a twelve-month suspended prison sentence and 180 hours of unpaid community service after his firm fitted a dangerous boiler in what was to be a child’s bedroom in a house in Clacton-On-Sea.

A joint investigation by Gas Safe and the Health & Safety Executive (…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for endangering lives

17-08-2012

A landlord has been handed a suspended jail sentence for endangering lives after a mother, her partner and her eight-year-old daughter were poisoned by carbon monoxide at a flat in Lewisham.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden and the young girl inhaled large quantities of the deadly ga…

Read more

Paisley joiner ordered to do community service after unsafe gas installation caused explosion

06-08-2012

A self-employed joiner has been sentenced to 300 hours of community service after a gas cooker he illegally installed exploded, severely injuring two householders and causing more than £580,000 worth of damage toGas Safe Register logo four properties.

Alex Irvine was hired by John and Emily Reid to cut out a kitc…

Read more

Staffordshire man prosecuted for illegal gas work

27-07-2012

Gas Safe Register logoA Staffordshire man has been prosecuted for pretending to be Gas Safe registered, putting tenants at risk from dangerous gas work and for breaching a legal Notice which prohibited him from carrying out gas work.

Mark David Austin, of Riceyman Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, who trades as APS, w…

Read more

Builder sentenced for unsafe work after death of couple

24-07-2012

A self-employed builder has been fined £75,000 and ordered to undertake community service after work he carried out on an elderly couple's home resulted in their death from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mohammed Jamil had been contracted to carry out work on the garage roof at the home of husba…

Read more

Gas fitter prosecuted for illegal inspections

24-07-2012

A bogus gas fitter and the company he owns have been prosecuted for carrying out illegal inspections on mobile catering units in Suffolk.

Antony George Hewitt, trading as Hewitt Plumbing Solutions Ltd., unlawfully issued gas safety records under the names of legitimate Gas Safe registere…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter's "incompetence exposed homeowner to serious risk"

19-07-2012

The plastic material which had been pushed into a gap where the flue meets the boiler chimneyA Barnsley plumber, who left a householder in danger after posing as a qualified gas engineer and badly fitting a new boiler at their home, has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Self-employed trader Mark Dixon of Royston, Barnsley, charged the homeowner £1,200 to carry out the work at t…

Read more

Local authority prosecuted for gas safety failings

13-07-2012

The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham has been fined £83,600 for failing to arrange annual safety checks on gas appliances in tenanted accommodation.

The local authority is required by law to arrange annual checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer and keep and maintain gas safety reco…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted for endangering lives

12-07-2012

An illegal gas fitter has been prosecuted for endangering lives by undertaking potentially lethal work at a property in Colchester.

Kevin Cook, 55, trading as Team Electric, installed a gas fire at a house in Rowhedge, Colchester, in August 2010, although he was not registered to undertake ga…

Read more

Wakefield landlord in court for flouting gas safety

04-06-2012

A Wakefield landlord has been fined after ignoring repeated warnings to have gas appliances at his rented property checked for safety.

Mohammed Hanif was contacted by both Wakefield Council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) instructing him to employ a registered gas engineer to undert…

Read more

TV ‘Rogue Trader’ in court again for botched gas work

01-06-2012

Illegal gas fittersA convicted plumber who left a series of householders at risk from his illegal gas work was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today for putting more lives in danger.

Brian Lloyd from Ossett, near Wakefield, was exposed for carrying out illegal gas work by the TV programme ‘Rogue Traders’ back in…

Read more

Illegal North Somerset gasman lied about credentials

30-05-2012

How do I know my gas engineer is qualified to do the work?A Clevedon man has been prosecuted for illegally installing a gas boiler and flue at a property at Severn Beach, Bristol, while not registered with CORGI, the then industry body.

CORGI was superseded by the Gas Safe Register in April 2009.

North Avon Magistrates’ Court was told that Jeff…

Read more

Unregistered gas installer put lives at risk

30-04-2012

An unregistered gas fitter has been prosecuted for illegally carrying out work on a house in Hucknall, putting residents' lives at risk.

Robert Metcalf, 54, installed a new gas boiler at the Long Hill Rise property during August and September 2009, but following problems with the new boiler t…

Read more

20 Blog Posts