Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas safe register"

Be CO safe at work

10-06-2015

picture shows how to identify a problem with a gas flameToxic to humans, carbon monoxide (or CO) is an extremely poisonous gas caused by unsafe gas appliances. Dubbed the ‘Silent Killer’ as it’s colourless, tasteless and odourless, it has claimed the lives of many thousands of people. In fact, it is estimated that around 50 people die each year from …

Read more

Winter safety advice

13-11-2013

photo shows a road covered in snowGoing out in the winter can be hazardous, especially if you will be driving. Then again, staying in has its risks too. Make sure you stay safe this winter with these helpful tips:

Driving in the winter is very different than at other times of the year. Adverse weather and longer periods of darkness…

Read more

Gas fitter's shoddy work threatened lives

05-11-2012

A Brixham gas fitter has been fined after falsely claiming to be registered gas engineer and leaving work he carried out in a dangerous condition.

In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) (on 2 November), Torbay Magistrates heard that Sean Collins carried out work on …

Read more

Illegal gas fitter put lives in danger in Rochdale

25-09-2012

A Rochdale man has been sentenced after he put lives at risk by illegally carrying out gas work at three homes in the borough.

Paul Gregory was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he left a newly installed gas hob in a condition classified as 'immediately dangerous' at one…

Read more

Landlady fined for gas safety failings

13-09-2012

A Staffordshire woman has been fined for failing to provide evidence that a gas safety check had been carried out at one of her tenanted properties.

Liane Dewsbury was originally asked by Lichfield District Council to produce Landlord's gas safety certificates for boilers at two properties …

Read more

Kent glazing firm fined for gas safety breach

04-09-2012

conservatoryA Kent double glazing company with three outlets in Medway towns has been fined for safety failings after building a conservatory over a gas flue.

Family firm Supaglazing Ltd., of Strood, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for breaching gas safety regulations - the seco…

Read more

Essex fireplace fitters fined after gas leak

03-09-2012

An Essex fireplace installation company has been fined after their inadequate work on domestic gas pipes put a family’s life at risk in their own home.

Fireplaces by Heals, of London Rd, Leigh-on-Sea, was commissioned to install a new fireplace at a home in Leigh-On-Sea, Essex, on 28 …

Read more

Essex plumber may face prison after shoddy gas work left family in danger

31-08-2012

Gas Safe Register logoAn Essex plumber has received a twelve-month suspended prison sentence and 180 hours of unpaid community service after his firm fitted a dangerous boiler in what was to be a child’s bedroom in a house in Clacton-On-Sea.

A joint investigation by Gas Safe and the Health & Safety Executive (…

Read more

Sheffield landlords put tenant's life at risk

17-08-2012

Two Sheffield landlords have been handed suspended jail sentences after dangerous defects were found on every gas appliance at a house they rented out to a young woman.

During the prosecution of landlords Waheed Ahmid and Farhat Basharat, his wife, Sheffield Magistrates heard the defects were…

Read more

Paisley joiner ordered to do community service after unsafe gas installation caused explosion

06-08-2012

A self-employed joiner has been sentenced to 300 hours of community service after a gas cooker he illegally installed exploded, severely injuring two householders and causing more than £580,000 worth of damage toGas Safe Register logo four properties.

Alex Irvine was hired by John and Emily Reid to cut out a kitc…

Read more

Staffordshire man prosecuted for illegal gas work

27-07-2012

Gas Safe Register logoA Staffordshire man has been prosecuted for pretending to be Gas Safe registered, putting tenants at risk from dangerous gas work and for breaching a legal Notice which prohibited him from carrying out gas work.

Mark David Austin, of Riceyman Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, who trades as APS, w…

Read more

Gas fitter prosecuted for illegal inspections

24-07-2012

A bogus gas fitter and the company he owns have been prosecuted for carrying out illegal inspections on mobile catering units in Suffolk.

Antony George Hewitt, trading as Hewitt Plumbing Solutions Ltd., unlawfully issued gas safety records under the names of legitimate Gas Safe registere…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter's "incompetence exposed homeowner to serious risk"

19-07-2012

The plastic material which had been pushed into a gap where the flue meets the boiler chimneyA Barnsley plumber, who left a householder in danger after posing as a qualified gas engineer and badly fitting a new boiler at their home, has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Self-employed trader Mark Dixon of Royston, Barnsley, charged the homeowner £1,200 to carry out the work at t…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted for endangering lives

12-07-2012

An illegal gas fitter has been prosecuted for endangering lives by undertaking potentially lethal work at a property in Colchester.

Kevin Cook, 55, trading as Team Electric, installed a gas fire at a house in Rowhedge, Colchester, in August 2010, although he was not registered to undertake ga…

Read more

Wakefield landlord in court for flouting gas safety

04-06-2012

A Wakefield landlord has been fined after ignoring repeated warnings to have gas appliances at his rented property checked for safety.

Mohammed Hanif was contacted by both Wakefield Council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) instructing him to employ a registered gas engineer to undert…

Read more

TV ‘Rogue Trader’ in court again for botched gas work

01-06-2012

Illegal gas fittersA convicted plumber who left a series of householders at risk from his illegal gas work was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today for putting more lives in danger.

Brian Lloyd from Ossett, near Wakefield, was exposed for carrying out illegal gas work by the TV programme ‘Rogue Traders’ back in…

Read more

Illegal North Somerset gasman lied about credentials

30-05-2012

How do I know my gas engineer is qualified to do the work?A Clevedon man has been prosecuted for illegally installing a gas boiler and flue at a property at Severn Beach, Bristol, while not registered with CORGI, the then industry body.

CORGI was superseded by the Gas Safe Register in April 2009.

North Avon Magistrates’ Court was told that Jeff…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted for endangering lives

02-05-2012

An illegal gas fitter has been prosecuted for endangering lives at a property in Surrey with shoddy and unsafe work.

Michael Gill, 66, installed a new gas boiler and flue at a house in Kingsmead Park, Elstead, on 5 March 2008, both of which were left in a dangerous condition.

Guildford Magistr…

Read more

Unregistered gas installer prosecuted

30-04-2012

An unregistered gas installer was caught illegally carrying out work on a house in Newark.

Mr Phillip Birchmore, trading as PSB Plumbing and Heating, capped off a gas supply at the property in August 2010.  He then removed one boiler and hung a replacement boiler on the wall. Concerns were rais…

Read more

Unregistered gas fitter's work put people at risk

28-03-2012

gas safe registerA Wrexham-based gas fitter has been sentenced after installing and illegally servicing equipment which could have resulted in harm to the tenants and landlord of a Wrexham property.

Wrexham Magistrates' Court sentenced Mr Neil Lloyd to a 12-month community order that includes 150 hours of unpaid …

Read more

20 Blog Posts