Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas safe"

Gas fitter to carry out unpaid community work after explosion injures pensioner

03-12-2013

Photo shows the damaged gas pipe

A gas fitter has received a suspended prison sentence and curfew, and been ordered to carry out 300 hours of unpaid community work, after a pensioner suffered severe burns in a gas explosion at his home in Manchester.

Peter Smith, 66, was in a coma for three months following the blast, which happ…

Read more

Wigan landlord sentenced over gas safety risk

29-04-2012

A Wigan landlord has been prosecuted for putting the life of a tenant at risk by falsifying a gas safety document.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) took legal action against Terence McBride after it discovered he had changed the dates on the record for an annual gas safety check to suggest…

Read more

Gas engineer left pub kitchen at risk

22-02-2012

A gas engineer from Ascot has been fined for work he carried out on a commercial catering gas installation in a local pub, despite not being registered for such work

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Philip Payne, 49, trading as Wentworth Plumbing and Heating, for work he carried out …

Read more

Bradford man prosecuted for illegal gas work

09-02-2012

A gas fitter from Bradford has been sentenced after leaving an elderly woman at risk when he fitted a new boiler at her home.

Gareth Harland, of Milligan Avenue, carried out the work between 19 and 27 February at the woman's home but failed to seal the flue to the building. Unhappy with the work, th…

Read more

Unregistered gas engineer left Cheltenham householders in danger

08-02-2012

An illegal gas engineer lied to a householder about being registered to the industry body and left one property at risk of explosion after carrying out work at premises in Cheltenham.

Cheltenham Magistrates Court heard Christopher Clark, 39, a self-employed gas engineer, commissioned a central heati…

Read more

Plumber jailed for carrying out illegal gas work

02-02-2012

A Suffolk plumber who put lives at risk by illegally working on domestic gas appliances has been sentenced to six months in prison.

Paul Jowett, 40, of Nelson Road, Pakefield, Lowestoft, admitted five breaches of gas and health and safety regulations when he appeared at Ipswich Crown Court today.

Read more

False identity leads to prosecution for Peterborough gas fitter

02-02-2012

A self-employed plumber has been fined for posing as a registered gas fitter to try to carry out work on gas appliances at a Peterborough take-away.

Francesco Vaira, 61, of Lincoln Road, Peterborough, admitted breaching health and safety laws by carrying out illegal gas work by using a false ide…

Read more

Oxford landlord fined for failing to meet basic gas safety regulations

01-02-2012

An Oxford landlord has been fined for endangering the lives of his tenants after consistently failing to provide safety records for gas appliances at a property he rented out in Didcot.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted William Edwards, 42, of Oxford, for breaching three charge…

Read more

Suspended prison sentences for illegal gas fitters

16-01-2012

Two men who operated a Harrogate-based plumbing firm have been handed suspended prison terms for falsely claiming to be Gas Safe registered engineers and leaving one local family in "immediate danger".

The men, sole employees and directors of PH Plumbing and Heating Engineers Ltd, were found out …

Read more

Milton Keynes plumber put lives at risk with illegal gas work

10-01-2012

A plumber who put a householder at risk by illegally installing and working on a gas boiler has been sentenced.

Trading as C&H Services, Christopher Johnson, 45, installed a new gas boiler in the kitchen of a residential property in Fairfield Road, Dunstable in April 2010.

He was called back …

Read more

Gas fitter sentenced for series of safety breaches

09-01-2012

A North Wales man, who falsely claimed to be a registered gas engineer, has been sentenced to eight months' imprisonment after dangerously installing a gas boiler.

The Heath and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Mr Lee Hampshire, trading as LH Heating and Plumbing, for carrying out gas work and …

Read more

Willenhall man prosecuted for illegal gas work

01-09-2011

A gas engineer from Willenhall has been prosecuted for illegally carrying out work at a house in Cannock, reports the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Leslie Morgan, of Cedar Road, issued a gas safety certificate for an address in Cannock Road, Cannock, on 20 October 2010 after installing a boiler…

Read more

Glasgow landlord fined for illegal gas work

27-05-2011

Mohammed Aslam allowed his tenants to live with dangerous gas appliances and carried out gas work in a house and flat he owned despite not being legally qualified to do so.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that their investigation found the landlord illegally installed a boiler at a ho…

Read more

Workers poisoned in carbon monoxide release

08-04-2011

Three Sheffield workers were almost overcome by fumes when an asbestos decontamination unit (DCU) began to fill with deadly carbon monoxide. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Huddersfield Magistrates' court, the first two workers passed through the unit successfully but the next three men w…

Read more

Landlord fined for failing to meet gas safety regulations

25-03-2011

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted a landlord for breaching two counts of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 and one count of failing to comply with the requirements of an Improvement Notice served on him in August 2010.

Portsmouth City Council notified HSE after requ…

Read more

Health and Safety News - 8 December 2010

08-12-2010

HSE Myth of the Month

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have been running the 'Myth of the Month' for four years to highlight and put right common misconceptions about health and safety and the role of the HSE. This feature is now coming to an end - the HSE have released a final myth of the mont…

Read more

Health and Safety News - 30 September 2010

30-09-2010

£30k fines after Salford worker killed by digger bucket

Fines totalling £30,000 have been issued following the death of a Salford worker, who was struck by the excavator bucket on a digger. John Cain, 36, was working on a project to demolish the Albert Park Inn on Great Clowes Street in Salford on…

Read more

17 Blog Posts