Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "gas"

What are the risks of unsafe gas appliances?

03-06-2014

Photo shows a gas ring on a cooker hobIf you don't have your gas appliances serviced regularly, if your gas appliances are fitted by incompetent and untrained workers, or if you don't take steps to respond quickly to boiler breakdowns and other gas emergencies, you could pay for your mistake with your life.

There are four major dangers…

Read more

Hidden dangers in a manufacturing plant

16-05-2014

Photo shows an employee using equipmentIt takes a keen eye to spot all of the dangers associated with manufacturing. After all, not every hazard is obvious to the casual observer.

Because complacency in manufacturing can be deadly, workers should be well-trained and always on the lookout for hidden dangers. They should also be well equi…

Read more

Winter safety advice

13-11-2013

photo shows a road covered in snowGoing out in the winter can be hazardous, especially if you will be driving. Then again, staying in has its risks too. Make sure you stay safe this winter with these helpful tips:

Driving in the winter is very different than at other times of the year. Adverse weather and longer periods of darkness…

Read more

Construction firm in court over major Liverpool city centre gas scare

15-09-2013

Photo shows the damaged gas pipe which sparked fears of an explosion in Liverpool city centre

A construction firm has appeared in court over a major gas leak which caused widespread disruption and sparked fears of an explosion in Liverpool city centre.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the area around the former Lewis's department store on 19 January 2012 after a gas supply pipe was …

Read more

Two companies prosecuted for gas mains fire in Leeds

01-08-2013

Photo shows gas mains fire near residential buildings

Two major companies were responsible for a major blaze in Leeds that led to the evacuation of six homes, the closure of a major road and gas supplies being cut off, a court heard on 31 July 2013.

Leeds-based Northern Gas Networks Operations Ltd. and Morgan Sindall (Infrastructure) plc both neglec…

Read more

Three firms sentenced after man killed by rocketing gas cylinder

10-07-2013

Photo shows cylinder with missing valve

Three South East firms have been ordered to pay a total of £685,787.31 in fines and costs for serious safety breaches after a plumber died and six other workers were seriously injured by a barrage of flying gas cylinders.

Adam Johnston, 38, from Sutton, Surrey, was struck by one of 66 heavy cyli…

Read more

Property developer sentenced over Manchester gas explosion

30-11-2012

A property development firm has been fined £100,000 following a major gas explosion that destroyed dozens of homes in South Manchester.

PJ Livesey Group Ltd. was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) following the blast at the Didsbury Gate development on 8 December 2009.
The aftermath of the gas explosion at the Didsbury Gate development in South Manchester

On 29 Nove…

Read more

Gas fitter's shoddy work threatened lives

05-11-2012

A Brixham gas fitter has been fined after falsely claiming to be registered gas engineer and leaving work he carried out in a dangerous condition.

In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) (on 2 November), Torbay Magistrates heard that Sean Collins carried out work on …

Read more

Gas leak leads to prosecution

11-10-2012

National Grid Gas PLC has been fined after gas leaked into a Halesowen home.

Engineers were replacing the gas supply to a property in Bromsgrove Road, Hunnington, when the leak occurred on 20 August 2010.

The existing supply was connected to a low pressure main on the opposite side of the road s…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter put lives in danger in Rochdale

25-09-2012

A Rochdale man has been sentenced after he put lives at risk by illegally carrying out gas work at three homes in the borough.

Paul Gregory was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he left a newly installed gas hob in a condition classified as 'immediately dangerous' at one…

Read more

Landlady fined for gas safety failings

13-09-2012

A Staffordshire woman has been fined for failing to provide evidence that a gas safety check had been carried out at one of her tenanted properties.

Liane Dewsbury was originally asked by Lichfield District Council to produce Landlord's gas safety certificates for boilers at two properties …

Read more

Kent glazing firm fined for gas safety breach

04-09-2012

conservatoryA Kent double glazing company with three outlets in Medway towns has been fined for safety failings after building a conservatory over a gas flue.

Family firm Supaglazing Ltd., of Strood, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for breaching gas safety regulations - the seco…

Read more

Essex fireplace fitters fined after gas leak

03-09-2012

An Essex fireplace installation company has been fined after their inadequate work on domestic gas pipes put a family’s life at risk in their own home.

Fireplaces by Heals, of London Rd, Leigh-on-Sea, was commissioned to install a new fireplace at a home in Leigh-On-Sea, Essex, on 28 …

Read more

Essex plumber may face prison after shoddy gas work left family in danger

31-08-2012

Gas Safe Register logoAn Essex plumber has received a twelve-month suspended prison sentence and 180 hours of unpaid community service after his firm fitted a dangerous boiler in what was to be a child’s bedroom in a house in Clacton-On-Sea.

A joint investigation by Gas Safe and the Health & Safety Executive (…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for endangering lives

17-08-2012

A landlord has been handed a suspended jail sentence for endangering lives after a mother, her partner and her eight-year-old daughter were poisoned by carbon monoxide at a flat in Lewisham.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden and the young girl inhaled large quantities of the deadly ga…

Read more

Sheffield landlords put tenant's life at risk

17-08-2012

Two Sheffield landlords have been handed suspended jail sentences after dangerous defects were found on every gas appliance at a house they rented out to a young woman.

During the prosecution of landlords Waheed Ahmid and Farhat Basharat, his wife, Sheffield Magistrates heard the defects were…

Read more

Paisley joiner ordered to do community service after unsafe gas installation caused explosion

06-08-2012

A self-employed joiner has been sentenced to 300 hours of community service after a gas cooker he illegally installed exploded, severely injuring two householders and causing more than £580,000 worth of damage toGas Safe Register logo four properties.

Alex Irvine was hired by John and Emily Reid to cut out a kitc…

Read more

Staffordshire man prosecuted for illegal gas work

27-07-2012

Gas Safe Register logoA Staffordshire man has been prosecuted for pretending to be Gas Safe registered, putting tenants at risk from dangerous gas work and for breaching a legal Notice which prohibited him from carrying out gas work.

Mark David Austin, of Riceyman Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, who trades as APS, w…

Read more

Gas fitter prosecuted for illegal inspections

24-07-2012

A bogus gas fitter and the company he owns have been prosecuted for carrying out illegal inspections on mobile catering units in Suffolk.

Antony George Hewitt, trading as Hewitt Plumbing Solutions Ltd., unlawfully issued gas safety records under the names of legitimate Gas Safe registere…

Read more

Local authority prosecuted for gas safety failings

13-07-2012

The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham has been fined £83,600 for failing to arrange annual safety checks on gas appliances in tenanted accommodation.

The local authority is required by law to arrange annual checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer and keep and maintain gas safety reco…

Read more

20 Blog Posts