Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "electrocution"

What you need to know about portable appliance testing (PAT)

18-08-2015

Image shows the plug of a portable appliance near an electrical socketUnder the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, dutyholders (employers and self-employed people) are legally required to ensure that electronics with the potential to cause injury are maintained in a safe condition, so far as is reasonably practicable. Dutyholders are jointly responsible for equipme…

Read more

How avoiding the ‘fatal four’ can improve your construction site

23-06-2014

Photo shows a worker on a construction siteYour employees are your number one asset on the job site, and taking a few moments to make certain the job site is safe and secure can go a long way towards productivity and can save you money in the long run.

According to the US Department of Labor, 806 workers were killed in 2012 while working on…

Read more

Do I have to PAT test?

22-10-2012

Do I have to PAT test?

Do I have to PAT test? How often should I PAT test? How do I know that my portable electrical appliances are safe?

These questions are examples of what I’m regularly asked by managers / business owners who are concerned with regulatory compliance or just want to be sure the electrical applia…

Read more

How to protect staff at risk of an electric shock

03-10-2012

high voltage warning signIf you are an employer, you have responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 to protect your staff and the public from hazards.

Electric shocks can result in injury or even instant death which means it’s in your interest to take the necessary precautions to minimise the …

Read more

National power company fined after employee electrocuted

01-09-2011

UK Power Networks (which supplies the East of England, London and the South East) has been fined after an employee died while working at one of its Norfolk sites.

Jonathan Crosby, 45, was working as an electrical overhead linesman at UK Power Networks (formerly known as EDF Energy Networks Limited)…

Read more

Herefordshire farming company fined after 21-year-old worker electrocuted

18-05-2011

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that Velcourt Limited, of The Veldt House, Much Marcle, Ledbury, has been fined after a man was electrocuted while working on farmland near Ludgershall in Wiltshire.

Edward Pybus, 21, from Yorkshire, was harvesting crops at Chute Farm, Upper Chute when h…

Read more

Utility worker electrocuted

08-04-2011

A 39-year old employee of a private utility company was electrocuted upon contacting a power line in Iowa County. 

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) along with the Sheriff's Department and Coroner's Office are investigating the electrocution.

7 Blog Posts