Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "director"

Demolition firm fined for safety failings

16-07-2012

A demolition firm and its director have been fined for endangering workers at a site in Lancing, West Sussex.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Rabbit Demolition and Excavation Ltd. and its director, Colin Bell, for not providing a safe means for working on a roof during the demo…

Read more

Safety failings led to asbestos exposure at Dorset school

16-07-2012

The unsafe removal of asbestos insulation boards at a large independent school in Dorset led to several people being exposed to asbestos fibres, Dorchester Crown Court heard.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Sherborne School and Peter Eldridge, the director of a company respon…

Read more

Northumberland firm and two directors fined after death of worker

16-07-2012

A Northumberland firm and two of its directors have been sentenced for safety failings after a teenage worker died following a fall from a barn roof.

Jamie Lee Duddin, 18, of Corbridge, and another Scotts of Whittington Ltd. employee were carrying out repairs to the roof lights of the barn …

Read more

Teenage workers seriously injured after falling from height

21-06-2012

A Derbyshire manufacturing firm and its director have been fined after two teenage agency workers fell from a lifting platform.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Storetec Limited and one of its Directors after Leon Payne, 18, from Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, broke his ba…

Read more

Sussex company director fined after failing to control asbestos

14-06-2012

An estate management director, from Brighton, has been fined after failing to manage the spread of asbestos during the demolition of a building.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Brian Marshall, 44, managing director of Supply on Demand Ltd, for breaching asbestos safety regu…

Read more

Workers were needlessly exposed to deadly asbestos dust

14-06-2012

Workmen carrying out a refurbishment at a Devon pub were exposed to deadly asbestos dust and then asked by their site manager to remove it without adequate protection.

The incident happened at the Three Crowns pub in Chagford, Dartmoor in January 2010, when the refurbishment was being carried…

Read more

Suffolk roofer caught on camera risking lives

01-06-2012

Anthony Nightingale caught on cameraThe director of a Suffolk roofing firm has been sentenced for safety failings after he was caught on camera using a power tool while balancing on the ridge of a house roof.

Anthony Nightingale of Copdock, Ipswich, was filmed using a petrol-powered disc cutter to cut through a tile while he an…

Read more

Fines imposed following scaffolding fall death

29-05-2012

Scaffold over-roof at Washington Avenue, St. Leonards on SeaA firm, its director and a supervisor have been sentenced for safety failings after a worker died from injuries sustained in a fall from scaffolding at a construction site in East Sussex.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Apex Scaffolding (Sussex) Ltd., its director, Michael Wa…

Read more

Totton director fined after worker suffers burns

10-05-2012

The director of a Totton company has been fined after an employee suffered burns while cutting the top off an unused propane gas tank at the director's home.

The 29 year-old worker from Winchester suffered burns over his left arm, torso and abdomen when he was asked, by Jamie Thomas Jewell, …

Read more

Director fined after worker's fatal fall through roof

05-05-2012

The director of a building firm has been prosecuted after a self-employed contractor fell to his death through a fragile roof at an industrial building in Penryn.

Paul Gibbons, 59, who lived in Porthleven, was carrying out re-roofing work for Acryflor Ltd. at the Kernick Road Industrial Estat…

Read more

St. Helens Managing Director sentenced over gas explosion

15-02-2012

The Managing Director of a St Helens gas supply firm has appeared in court after he and an employee suffered multiple burns in an explosion.

John Webster was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he and another worker received burns to their faces, hands and legs at North West Ga…

Read more

Death at Hampstead site leads to prosecution

02-02-2012

A construction company and director have been fined following the death of a worker at a site in Hampstead.

Father-of-one, Craig Page, of Islington, was working on a building site in Denning Road, when a mini-crawler crane was in the process of lifting a skip onto the site.

The skip, containing li…

Read more

More senior managers prosecuted for health and safety failings

04-01-2012

gavelThe number of directors and senior managers prosecuted under section 37 of the Heath and Safety at Work etc. Act, 1974 has rocketed by more than 400 per cent in the last five years, reports SHP.

The total number of individuals convicted under s37 in 2010/11 was 35 – a substantial increase on the …

Read more

Company fined after worker falls from balcony

07-12-2011

A Pembroke Dock construction company and its director have been prosecuted after a labourer suffered serious injuries on a construction site.

Karl Kraus, 31, from Pembroke Dock was employed by Preseli Construction & Maintenance Ltd, and was working on the build of a large domestic property at Inclin…

Read more

Chemical firm sentenced after worker suffers toxic burns

08-02-2011

A chemical company has been sentenced after a worker suffered toxic burns to his arms and chest at an Ellesmere Port factory.

The employee at Abacus Chemical Ltd was mixing two chemicals together on 7 May 2009 when they exploded, causing him to be drenched in a hot, toxic chemical solution.

Abacus C…

Read more

15 Blog Posts