Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Blog posts : "carbon monoxide"

Be CO safe at work

10-06-2015

picture shows how to identify a problem with a gas flameToxic to humans, carbon monoxide (or CO) is an extremely poisonous gas caused by unsafe gas appliances. Dubbed the ‘Silent Killer’ as it’s colourless, tasteless and odourless, it has claimed the lives of many thousands of people. In fact, it is estimated that around 50 people die each year from …

Read more

What are the risks of unsafe gas appliances?

03-06-2014

Photo shows a gas ring on a cooker hobIf you don't have your gas appliances serviced regularly, if your gas appliances are fitted by incompetent and untrained workers, or if you don't take steps to respond quickly to boiler breakdowns and other gas emergencies, you could pay for your mistake with your life.

There are four major dangers…

Read more

Security company sentenced for generator death failings

18-02-2014

Photo shows the petrol generator

A security company has been fined for safety failings after a lone working security guard was killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator.

Arthur Ebirim, 45, from Peckham, south-east London, was overcome by the killer gas on 28 October 2011 as he kept a night-time watch over a disused…

Read more

The dangers of carbon monoxide

25-10-2013

picture shows a couple sitting together in front of an open fireCarbon monoxide has been called “a silent killer” by Dame Sally Davies, chief medical officer for England, stating that the deadly toxin “leads to 50 deaths every year”. At first glance this figure may seem relatively low when compared to other statistics (for example, from 2010 to 2011, 388 people …

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for endangering lives

17-08-2012

A landlord has been handed a suspended jail sentence for endangering lives after a mother, her partner and her eight-year-old daughter were poisoned by carbon monoxide at a flat in Lewisham.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden and the young girl inhaled large quantities of the deadly ga…

Read more

Sheffield landlords put tenant's life at risk

17-08-2012

Two Sheffield landlords have been handed suspended jail sentences after dangerous defects were found on every gas appliance at a house they rented out to a young woman.

During the prosecution of landlords Waheed Ahmid and Farhat Basharat, his wife, Sheffield Magistrates heard the defects were…

Read more

Builder sentenced for unsafe work after death of couple

24-07-2012

A self-employed builder has been fined £75,000 and ordered to undertake community service after work he carried out on an elderly couple's home resulted in their death from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mohammed Jamil had been contracted to carry out work on the garage roof at the home of husba…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted for endangering lives

12-07-2012

An illegal gas fitter has been prosecuted for endangering lives by undertaking potentially lethal work at a property in Colchester.

Kevin Cook, 55, trading as Team Electric, installed a gas fire at a house in Rowhedge, Colchester, in August 2010, although he was not registered to undertake ga…

Read more

Illegal North Somerset gasman lied about credentials

30-05-2012

How do I know my gas engineer is qualified to do the work?A Clevedon man has been prosecuted for illegally installing a gas boiler and flue at a property at Severn Beach, Bristol, while not registered with CORGI, the then industry body.

CORGI was superseded by the Gas Safe Register in April 2009.

North Avon Magistrates’ Court was told that Jeff…

Read more

Builder's work on chimney put family at risk

30-04-2012

A family was exposed to deadly carbon monoxide fumes after building work on a chimney caused a blockage in a flue.

Builder Wayne Marshall had been engaged to carry out repairs to a joint chimney by householders at a property in Dulais Road, Seven Sisters in March 2010, but left an amount of rub…

Read more

Wigan landlord sentenced over gas safety risk

29-04-2012

A Wigan landlord has been prosecuted for putting the life of a tenant at risk by falsifying a gas safety document.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) took legal action against Terence McBride after it discovered he had changed the dates on the record for an annual gas safety check to suggest…

Read more

Staffordshire family exposed to carbon monoxide

19-03-2012

Gas Safe RegisterA gas engineer from West Bromwich has been prosecuted after a family of five were taken to hospital following exposure to carbon monoxide.

The two adults and three children aged two, nine and 11 were taken ill on 22 January 2011, Birmingham Magistrates' Court heard. The family housekeeper was als…

Read more

Landlord prosecuted for putting students at risk

13-02-2012

A Glasgow GP has been fined after failing to maintain a gas boiler at a student flat he owned in Oxford.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Dr Tariq Mahmood for breaching Gas Safety Regulations in December 2010.

Oxford Magistrates' Court heard that on 17 December 2010, a gas installer…

Read more

Tenby landlord sentenced for gas safety failings

17-01-2012

A Tenby landlord has been fined for failing to maintain a gas fire safely within one of his properties.

David Ian Douglas-Law of Penally, Tenby, was fined £8,500 and ordered to pay costs of £1,500 at Haverfordwest Magistrates' Court following a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executiv…

Read more

Suspended prison sentences for illegal gas fitters

16-01-2012

Two men who operated a Harrogate-based plumbing firm have been handed suspended prison terms for falsely claiming to be Gas Safe registered engineers and leaving one local family in "immediate danger".

The men, sole employees and directors of PH Plumbing and Heating Engineers Ltd, were found out …

Read more

Milton Keynes plumber put lives at risk with illegal gas work

10-01-2012

A plumber who put a householder at risk by illegally installing and working on a gas boiler has been sentenced.

Trading as C&H Services, Christopher Johnson, 45, installed a new gas boiler in the kitchen of a residential property in Fairfield Road, Dunstable in April 2010.

He was called back …

Read more

Wakefield builder fined for dangerous gas work

07-12-2011

A family was put in danger after a local builder carried out defective gas fitting work while constructing an extension to their home, a court has been told.

Nigel Parker illegally modified the flue of a gas combi-boiler, extended pipework and moved the bayonet fitting for a gas cooker. He also left…

Read more

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council fined for carbon monoxide leak

05-12-2011

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council has been fined for endangering people's health after carbon monoxide leaked from a gas boiler at a community centre.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted the local authority after members of a bridge club using the Westlands Community Centre in Whitf…

Read more

Walsall landlord prosecuted for putting tenants at risk

24-11-2011

A Walsall landlord has been sentenced for failing to provide a gas safety certificate.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Khalid Hussain following a complaint from a tenant and her partner, who rent a house at Raleigh Street, Walsall from him.

Walsall  Magistrates’ Court heard that…

Read more

Illegal gas fitter receives two-year prison sentence

24-10-2011

An Accrington man who falsely claimed he was a registered gas engineer has been sent to prison for two years for endangering people's lives at two properties in Lancashire, including a baby boy.

Stephen Jonathan was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for committing a total of six…

Read more

20 Blog Posts