Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Walsall landlord prosecuted for putting tenants at risk

24-11-2011

A Walsall landlord has been sentenced for failing to provide a gas safety certificate.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Khalid Hussain following a complaint from a tenant and her partner, who rent a house at Raleigh Street, Walsall from him.

Walsall  Magistrates’ Court heard that the boiler was only replaced in October this year despite having broken down in January 2011. Mr Hussain also did not have a landlord’s gas safety certificate for the appliances in the property until last month, despite being issued with an Improvement Notice from HSE in March requiring him to provide the certificate by 6 May 2011.

The court also heard that when the new boiler was installed last month, a gas engineer condemned the cooker in the property as dangerous and isolated it.

Mr Hussain, of Pargeter Street, Walsall, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 33(1)(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £3,000 costs.

More information about the dangers of carbon monoxide is available from http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm

Go Back

Comment