Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Unregistered gas installer put lives at risk

30-04-2012

An unregistered gas fitter has been prosecuted for illegally carrying out work on a house in Hucknall, putting residents' lives at risk.

Robert Metcalf, 54, installed a new gas boiler at the Long Hill Rise property during August and September 2009, but following problems with the new boiler the customer contacted the Gas Safe Register to check his registration status.

It was discovered that Mr Metcalf was not registered and should not have attempted to undertake such a job. The matter was passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for investigation.

HSE found there were a number of defects on the boiler. There was a lack of earth bonding, the pipework sleeve was not sealed where it passed through the wall and the flue was not sealed on the inside or outside of the building. In addition, the pressure relief discharge pipe was sited above a doorway onto a walkway which could have resulted in hot water being expelled onto the occupants.

Robert Metcalf (trading as Metcalf Plumbing), of Valeside Gardens, Colwick, pleaded guilty at Nottingham Magistrates' Court to breaching Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £500 with costs of £200.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment