Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Totton director fined after worker suffers burns

10-05-2012

The director of a Totton company has been fined after an employee suffered burns while cutting the top off an unused propane gas tank at the director's home.

The 29 year-old worker from Winchester suffered burns over his left arm, torso and abdomen when he was asked, by Jamie Thomas Jewell, to cut off the top of the tank with a disc cutter which set the flammable gases alight, on 2 September 2011.

The employee had to take three weeks off work and return to his job on light duties for a further month.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found the gas tank had not been emptied and made safe. The risks of the work had not been assessed and no information, instruction or training was passed to the employee.

Jamie Thomas Jewell, of Calmore, Totton, Hants, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act. 1974 and was prosecuted as an individual under Section 37 of that Act. He was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,451.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment