Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Stoke foundry fined for worker's burns

22-09-2011

A foundry in Stoke-on-Trent has been fined after a man was left with serious injuries after being burned by molten metal.

Copper Alloys Ltd. was prosecuted after the 28-year-old worker suffered severe burns to his left arm and upper legs when he fell into an unfenced pit, which housed a mould containing molten metal with a temperature of over 900 degrees celsius.

The man, needed skin grafts on his injured limbs, which remain scarred, following the incident on 5 May 2010.

The Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) investigation found there was no guard railing around the edge of the mould pit and the company had failed to recognise the risk of workers falling into the pit.

Copper Alloys Ltd, of Glendale Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, admitted breaching Regulation 13(5) of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. The company was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £4,798 costs.

Go Back

Comment