Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Shop owners prosecuted for dangerous storage of fireworks

26-03-2012

Two brothers who were storing fireworks next to an electric heater in their shop have received contitional sentences and ordered to pay £800 in costs.

Soutwark Council Trading Standards Inspectors found over 70kg of the explosives were not being stored safely and immediately removed them from Walworth Convenience Store.

Two of the three brothers who owned the shop were prosecuted under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, for breaching The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005.

Each defendant was sentenced to a conditional discharge for a period of 6 months. Costs of £400 were awarded against each defendant.

Go Back

Comment