Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council fined for carbon monoxide leak

05-12-2011

Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council has been fined for endangering people's health after carbon monoxide leaked from a gas boiler at a community centre.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted the local authority after members of a bridge club using the Westlands Community Centre in Whitfield Avenue called the fire service to deal with a suspected gas leak.

Fenton Magistrates' Court heard fire fighters found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide escaping from the flue in the loft and evacuated the building.

Sections of the flue had come apart and the potentially lethal gas had built up and started to flow through an open trapdoor into a storeroom off the main hall.

HSE's investigation into the incident revealed that the contract for maintenance and annual safety checks of all gas appliances in the 38 properties owned by the council, including nine households, had lapsed 12 months previously.

The court also heard that the 30-year-old boiler at Westlands Community Centre had not been checked for nearly two years before the incident on 30 March 2009.

Newcastle Borough Council, of Civic Centre, Merrial Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme, pleaded guilty today to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 5 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. It was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay £25,550 costs.

Go Back

Comment