Trading as C&H Services, Christopher Johnson, 45, installed a new gas boiler in the kitchen of a residential property in Fairfield Road, Dunstable in April 2010.
He was called back to the house in October 2010 as the resident reported a banging sound coming from the appliance. Mr Johnson determined that the boiler needed a new part. He left the appliance with its casing off but still connected to the gas supply.
After Mr Johnson’s visit, the resident contacted the boiler manufacturer which classified it as "immediately dangerous" and disconnected the gas supply to prevent it being used.
An engineer from Gas Safe also inspected the work and confirmed the existence of immediately dangerous defects which posed a significant risk to people in the house. Gas Safe found the boiler and flue were not compatible and the boiler casing had not been replaced resulting in the seal between the boiler and the kitchen becoming ineffective.
Both defects could have resulted in potentially lethal carbon monoxide escaping. The investigation also found that Mr Johnson was not registered with Gas Safe and so was working illegally.
At Luton & South Bedfordshire Magistrates’ Court today, Mr Johnson pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(1) and 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. Along with a three month community order, he was ordered to pay £475 costs.