A roof worker has been fined after a man fell to his death in Leicester.
Landlord Trevor Hall, 65, of Willoughby Road, Countesthorpe, died after falling around 3.5 metres through a fragile roof light at premises he owned in Saffron Road, Leicester on 8 March 2010.
He had gone onto the roof to observe Kristian Varnam, a director of Roofwise (UK) Ltd, whom Mr Hall had asked to provide a quote for repairs.
An investigation found the roof was made of fragile asbestos cement sheets and clear plastic roof lights, but Mr Varnam took no reasonable or practicable steps to ensure his safety or that of others in going on to the roof. The investigation also found he had failed to inform the building's tenants of his intention to go on to the roof.
At Leicester Magistrates' Court today, Kristian Varnam, of Saunderson Road, Stocking Farm Estate, Leicester, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 7(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. He was fined £3,500 with £2,742 costs.