Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Leicester care home fined £100,000 after resident died of serious burns

26-01-2015

Photo shows Walter Powley who died following serious burnsWalter Powley was admitted to Western Park View in Hinckley Road for emergency care in May 2012 after an occupational therapist advised his family he could no longer be safely left alone at home due to his risk of falling.

On 23 January, Leicester Crown Court heard that just four days later, Mr Powley fell in his room and became trapped between a wardrobe and a radiator. He suffered serious burns right through the skin of his right leg from the radiator pipe and valves, and superficial burns to both legs probably from hot water leaking from the valve. He died in hospital from his injuries eight days later.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found the pipes and valves at the home, owned by Western Park Leicester Ltd., were not covered and to touch had temperatures of around 73 degrees centigrade.

It also found Western Park Leicester Ltd. was aware that Mr Powley was at risk of falls and injury and that staff should be vigilant, but the company failed to assess the risks in his room and take appropriate action to control and manage them.

Western Park Leicester Ltd., of Queen Street, Wolverhampton, pleaded guilty to breaching section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and was fined £100,000 and ordered to pay a further £35,000 in costs.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment