Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Landlord prosecuted after Blackburn family put at risk

10-01-2012

A landlord has been fined after he failed to make sure gas safety checks were carried out at a house in Blackburn, putting a family of eight at risk.

Rashid Hussain was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after he ignored repeated warnings about not arranging an annual visit by a registered gas engineer to a property on Longshaw Lane in the town.

Blackburn Magistrates' Court heard Mr Hussain had provided proof to his tenants of a gas safety check when he first rented out the property to a couple and their six young children in September 2008.

But the 29-year-old failed to get a registered gas engineer to carry out another check a year later. He was served with an Improvement Notice by HSE in November 2010, requiring him to arrange an inspection within 21 days, but he failed to act on this.

Mr Hussain, of Walter Street in Blackburn, admitted breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £8,000 in prosecution costs on 6 January 2012.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment