Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Lancaster landlord sentenced for putting lives at risk

19-03-2012

A landlord in Lancaster has been sentenced for putting the lives of a family at risk by failing to arrange an annual gas safety check.

Carole McMillan, 57, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after she failed to arrange for a registered engineer to visit a property on Birkdale Close in Scalehill.

Lancaster Magistrates' Court heard Ms McMillan had been renting the house out to a couple and their two young children, aged five years and nine months old. An investigation was launched on 27 April 2010 when it was discovered that gas appliances at the house had not been checked since 6 February 2009.

Carol McMillan admitted a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 for failing to arrange an annual gas safety check. Ms McMillan, of Hatlex Lane in Hest Bank, Lancaster, was fined £750 and ordered to pay £2,250 in prosecution costs on 13 March 2012.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment