The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has contracted ORC International to gather information which will inform the UK's Impact Assessment on possible changes to the Seveso II Directive. HSE is extremely keen for all businesses to take part, regardless of how many chemicals are stored on their site, so that they get as full a picture as possible.
Three Luton car repair companies have been fined a total of £4,000 for failing to act on electrical defects in their workshops - exposing their workers to a serious risk of injury.
An Ealing building firm was fined after a worker's hand was seriously injured in a machine at a workshop in Willesden, Brent.
A company was fined a total of £14,000 after a night watchman was injured falling into water from the quayside. The company director has today been fined a total of £2,750 for failing to carry out a risk assessment.
Newcastle City Council has been fined after a five-year-old girl needed surgery when she was injured by an interactive exhibit at one of its museums.
A self-employed plumber has been prosecuted for carrying out illegal work on gas boilers which put the lives of Norwich residents at risk. Mr Davey was not registered with the Gas Safe Register - a legal requirement for anyone carrying out such work.
Premier Foods Group Ltd. has been fined £14,000 after a 65kg metal pillar fell on a maintenance engineer in Merseyside, crushing his skull.
A Croydon company has been fined after a young worker suffered multiple fractures and internal injuries when he fell through a roof-light after only weeks into his job. His employers had told him to go onto a warehouse roof and clean out the guttering.
A subsidiary of one of the world's largest support service and construction companies potentially exposed Ministry of Defence (MOD) workers to asbestos fibres. An asbestos survey undertaken in the boiler room in early 2005, found that the whole room was considered to be contaminated with asbestos and recommended that access to the room should be restricted until it was removed. Interserve failed to follow the advice of the survey and consequently workers were left at risk of exposure to deadly asbestos fibres for over a year.
A Shropshire boarding school has today been fined £25,000 after a worker was killed while demolishing a building on the site.