Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Glasgow landlord fined for illegal gas work

27-05-2011

Mohammed Aslam allowed his tenants to live with dangerous gas appliances and carried out gas work in a house and flat he owned despite not being legally qualified to do so.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reports that their investigation found the landlord illegally installed a boiler at a house he owned in Newton Mearns. The gas fire there failed a smoke spillage test and was not properly sealed to the wall. The fire had not been maintained within the past 12 months and HSE inspectors found a risk of the fire producing carbon monoxide.

Mohammed Aslam, of Queen Mary Avenue, Glasgow, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(3) and 36(2)(a) and (b) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fined £800.

Anyone who carries out work on gas appliances must be on the Gas Safe Register. Householders should ask gas engineers working in their home for their Gas Safe registration card.

Go Back

Thanks for informing us.



Comment