Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Gas engineer left pub kitchen at risk

22-02-2012

A gas engineer from Ascot has been fined for work he carried out on a commercial catering gas installation in a local pub, despite not being registered for such work

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Philip Payne, 49, trading as Wentworth Plumbing and Heating, for work he carried out in the kitchen at The Swinley in Ascot. On an unspecified date between 1 and 14 August 2009, he carried out work in the pub's catering kitchen but did not do the work in line with appropriate standards, leaving it at risk.

Reading Magistrates' Court heard that, although Mr Payne was registered with Gas Safe Register for work on domestic boilers, he was not registered to work on commercial catering installations, which would have required a different set of competencies.

The faulty work was discovered by an engineer carrying out repairs to the cooking range under warranty. He filed a RIDDOR report and Gas Safe Register and HSE investigated, discovering that Mr Payne was not registered for that type of commercial gas work.

Philip Payne, of Brook Avenue, Ruby Brook, Ascot, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 3(3) and 5(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £1,300 in total and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment