A roofing firm has been sentenced after one of its employees was injured when he fell from a garage roof in Broughton.
Hawarden Roofing Supplies & Contractors Limited was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) following the incident at a domestic property on Madeley Close in Broughton on 13 October 2009.
Mold Magistrates' Court heard that 23-year-old Mark Cain, from Broughton, was working on the removal and replacement of a garage roof when he fell more than two metres to the ground below.
He suffered whiplash and two broken bones in his lower back, and has been unable to return to work due to persistent back pain.
The court heard the company failed to notify the HSE of the incident and therefore an inspector did not visit the site to ensure work was being carried out in a safe manner.
HSE was eventually made aware of the incident and a subsequent investigation was launched. It found the company had failed to properly plan and supervise work at height activities, and ensure that appropriate measures were in place to control the associated risks.
Hawarden Roofing Supplies & Contractors Limited of 33 Chester Road, Queensferry, Deeside, Flintshire pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It was fined £3,000. It also pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(1)(b) of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 and it was fined £1,000. The defendant was also ordered to pay full costs of £2,500.95p.