Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Company prosecuted after worker suffers electric shock

30-04-2012

A coating and treatment company with premises in Swavesey, Cambridgeshire has been fined for safety failings after an employee suffered an electric shock.

He received an electric shock whilst checking new cables on a hardening machine that had recently been maintained, sustaining open wounds to his forearm and left palm and burns to his left arm and knee. He was hospitalised for 12 days and was unable to return to work for four months as a result.

Cambridge Magistrates' Court heard on 26 April that an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Tecvac had failed to impose adequate safe working procedures relating to the operation, use and maintenance of an electrical system and work near an electrical system.

Tecvac Limited, registered to an address at Lodge Bank Works, Lord Street, Bury, Lancashire, admitted breaching Regulation 4(3) of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 in relation to the incident. The company was fined £3,500 and ordered to pay £5,382.70 in costs.

Derek Offord, 45, from Sawston, was working as a machine operator at Tecvac's plant at the Buckingway Business Park when the incident occurred on 28 July last year.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment