A chemical company has been sentenced after a worker suffered toxic burns to his arms and chest at an Ellesmere Port factory.
The employee at Abacus Chemical Ltd was mixing two chemicals together on 7 May 2009 when they exploded, causing him to be drenched in a hot, toxic chemical solution.
Abacus Chemical Ltd, of Greenfield Business Centre, Greenfield, North Wales, pleaded guilty to three health, safety and environmental offences on 3 February 2011. The company was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay £14,000 in prosecution costs.
Abacus Chemical Ltd's director was also cautioned for breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2007, and the Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005.
Read the HSE Press Release for more detail.