Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Builder's work on chimney put family at risk

30-04-2012

A family was exposed to deadly carbon monoxide fumes after building work on a chimney caused a blockage in a flue.

Builder Wayne Marshall had been engaged to carry out repairs to a joint chimney by householders at a property in Dulais Road, Seven Sisters in March 2010, but left an amount of rubble blocking the flue of the neighbouring property, leading to a leak of carbon monoxide.

Neath Port Talbot Magistrates' Court heard that neither Mr. Marshall or his subcontractors informed the neighbours, Steve Everett, his wife and daughter, that work had started so they had not turned off their boiler at the bottom of the flue.

The blockage of rubble restricted ventilation for the appliance causing incomplete combustion and the creation of carbon monoxide.

When the family returned home from work they heard their carbon monoxide alarm sounding and had to ventilate their house, leaving windows open all night.

Wayne Marshall, trading as Marshall Enterprises Home Improvements, of St Hillary Drive, Killay, Swansea pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. He was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £1,500 in costs.

Read more...

Go Back

Comment