Menu

Health and Safety News

Occupational health and safety news and guidance

Bexleyheath restaurant owner sentenced for carbon monoxide death

24-08-2011

The owner of a fried chicken restaurant has been sentenced for an accident in March 2009 in which a 16-year-old girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a store room in the restaurant.

The girl and a 19-year old male had permission to stay in the room after the restaurant closed but a cylinder heater in there was 30 years old and lacked servicing and a cut-off sensor in the event of malfunction. The youth was found unconscious by the proprietor and the girl had died.

KentOnline reports that Amman Cheema, 36, of Earl Road, Northfleet, was charged with manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm.

Judge Peter Rook QC gave Cheema a suspended six-month jail term for two years and ordered that he carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £10,000 in prosecution costs and £5,000 towards his own defence costs within the next 12 months.

Go Back



Comment